Wednesday, July 2, 2008

High Fro... more thoughts from my trip

No not hair, but our nickname for High Fructose Corn Syrup.

This is one ingredient in my home that I work very hard to keep out... And it is work! HFCS is in almost everything, and it is sooo damaging to your body. The one example that has stuck with me, in the midst of my reading, was a research study performed on rats receiving HFCS. The rats' liver was similar to the liver of an alcoholic (aka cirrhosis of the liver). Being a nurse, this was enough information to work hard at not consuming it... making grocery shopping a challenge and sometimes expensive. Check it out... start reading the ingredients on the foods you buy- you'll be surprised what it's in (i.e. soda, ketchup, yogurt, jelly, cereal, even Worcestershire sauce).

Portion Control:

When we go out to eat, we usually split a meal. This does several great things: 1. cuts down on the cost of a meal. 2. Allows you to eat a normal size portion. 3. If the 1/2 portion wasn't enough, allows you to think about dessert : ).

Why am I addressing this? Because in Canada our eating habits changed. I could not find HFCS in the ketchup they served at the restaurant, in soda, or other foods I looked at. Secondly, my husband and I couldn't share our meals anymore because the portion sizes were normal!

It makes me wonder if only the US has approved HFCS as an ingredient. For those who read this from other countries, can you tell me if it's in your foods?

When I saw this, it made my wheels start turning, almost in anger... Does Heinz Ketchup really create a separate batch for Canada? Why do we get the HFCS? And if you don't want it you have to pay more at a health food store to not have it in our house! GRRRR

My heart is saddened by the health in our country. We have to change.

2 Corinthians 5: 8-10
Yes, we are fully confident, and we would rather be away from these earthly bodies, for then we will be at home with the Lord. So whether we are here in this body or away from this body, our goal is to please him. For we must all stand before Christ to be judged. We will each receive whatever we deserve for the good or evil we have done in this earthly body.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

I know that HFCS is in so many things! It drives me crazy too. It is more expensive, but worth it to buy the products without.

Susan said...

I am unsure about Germany. But most things that are oked in US for consumption are not ok in Europe. I look at the food labels on food, and I recognize all normal ingredients. Our standard in the US is very low. It scared me when I bought a Gerbers baby jar in US.

*carrie* said...

Thanks for the reminder and info, Ally!

Mom2Drew said...

It's so funny Ally...william and I have gone about 99% organic/whole now and that was the first ingredient we removed from our diet. Even bread has it, so you've got to look at everything now. Anyway, I feel a ton better and know that the boys will eventually get used to it too.