Friday, June 20, 2008

Victory!

Well, this Sunday is the 1/2 marathon my husband and I have been training for. The next couple of days consist of hydration awareness, diet, and rest. We will be traveling tomorrow, which can be taxing on one's body, but we've been packing and getting the house ready to leave all week, so that there really isn't much to do- except leave. Understand, this is NOT the way I used to pack when I was single... I'd wait to the last minute to get everything done then leave stressed. My husband and I have made it a goal not to have this be the trend before we go on vacation. In fact, I believe we will enjoy a round of golf this evening and get our vacation started a little early. It pays off to plan ahead=).

Running a 1/2. I have run a full marathon in 2005, because it was on my life goal list and my dear friend Sarah and I put our mind and legs to the challenge and did it! So, a half you'd think wouldn't be a big deal. In my mind, I know I have completed this mileage before but due to my injury I wasn't able to complete the long mile runs I was hoping to... and there is some anx about the race and my time completion.

So the reflection part... I have mentioned a little bit about running and how it not natural for me and in fact a lot of work and dedication. But, I was thinking and discussing with a dear friend this week where I have come from... When I was in nursing school, I let my body go and weighed my heaviest. Since that point, I have lost 32 lbs. and am currently in my BMI. (Boy, this is vulnerable to state~) I have a personal weight goal I'd like to be at before I have children, and I believe I will get there. But, there are still days that I look in the mirror and see the "old" me weighing 30 lbs heavier, and the old tape recorders come and play over and over of negative, failing thoughts. These are the days that I really have to take every thought and make it obedient to Christ and stay steady with the better habits I have established in my life. I then think back and remember I wouldn't have run 1/2 a marathon 30 lbs heavier, nor would I have the desire to do so... So, when the thoughts of not completing in record time start to creep in and convince me I have already failed before I've started... I remember where I have come from and where I am going!

...I will cross the finish line on Sunday and enjoy the victory of not only joining in on the race, but the lifestyle changes I have made to make it across the finish line.

Psalm 108:13
With God's help we will do mighty things, for He will trample down our foes.

4 comments:

Susan said...

You will do great! I am so bummed. They closed the Berlin Marathon early June. They had too many people, this is the first time they had to close the event at 40,000 people. That has never happened before here. But I am still running, but with no Marathon goal in mind. I will be in DC when the New York City Marathon goes November 2nd. But they already did their lottery June 1st.

I cannot wait to hear how you do. Will be thinking of you guys.

*carrie* said...

Allison,

Good for you! Hope all goes well this weekend!

Rally said...

Hey Baby, I'm so proud of you! When we started training, I had to push a little to get things rolling, but now, you usually are the one who says "are you ready to run?" Our training days have been great, and I'm sure that you will be pleased with your run on sunday.

Les Trois Soeurs said...

Can't wait to hear about all the details of race day. And couldn't resist to remind you that when you, me and Beck went on our road trip, we arrived to find that morning and you weren't showered or packed! Woohoo for planning ahead.
-Jana