Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Discovering Me...



Hello. Several months ago, my husband came to bed with the computer ready to "start blogging"! We were going to complete this task together, and here we are 3 months later and I am just placing my first entry.

As my darling sister has encouraged me several times to "just begin", I feel like in the interim of two jobs is a great time to start. So... as the first entry, I could talk about being a newlywed, but instead I am going to share about a new discovery that I had no idea I would enjoy creating so much. That discovery is decorating cakes!

The story is, my sister-in-law (sil) asked me to join her in taking the Wilton Cake Class at our local Michael's store. I thought "sure", it would be fun to learn something new, but mostly to continue building the relationship with my new family.



As I started to prepare for class, I was really frustrated with how much preparation needed to be done before class. I ended making three batches of frosting (gross) and a cake that was frosted. Plus, I had to spend the beautiful afternoon inside baking than being outside soaking up the beautiful weather with my hubby. Nonetheless, I made the commitment, and I was going to learn to decorate cake!



Here is a picture before going to class.














Well, to my surprise, I had a wonderful evening! My sil and I laughed at our similar frustrations as we walked into class with a box full of supplies and wondering... Is this really going to work? The laughs continued throughout the class as we practiced new skills with the star tip, writing, and familiarizing our self with the consistency of the frosting. Then we had the opportunity to practice these skills on the cake we brought.




Died Fingers trying to get red frosting. (Note, I was the only one in the class with this extreme of messy fingers and even the teacher was asking "How did you accomplish that?".)



























I ended up completing my cake at home, with the hopes of my hubby taking it to work with him for his co-workers to enjoy. I was actually really proud of the end results, surprised by my creation and enjoyment of making a cake. Below you will find the end product=-).





So now, I have completed my first blog and decorated my first cake. Go Discovering Me!

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

Yeah!!! Good job! The cake is beautiful! Welcome to blog land! :)

Mom2Drew said...

Hey...whoop-whoop!

This is Heather and I am so glad you're going to start blogging.

Wow, what a cake, your sky even has marbling where the clouds would be. That's awesome. Did it taste good too?

hey, want to make Andrew an Elmo cake? I don't know what I"ve gotten myself into in trying to make his birthday cake...ai-yi-yi!

My blog address is heatherbauers.typepad.com

Susan said...

Nice looking cake Ally! Good for you for branching out:)

*carrie* said...

Ally,

Thanks for the e-mail update and this fun post. What a cute cake!

Cadenabeana said...

Love the cake!! Glad to see that you are posting now! I have enjoyed reading about the painting and cake decorating but especially about the time with your sister!